9. The Lost World’s Fair Subway Line
In the run-up to the 1939 Worlds fair, the city constructed a subway line to connect the World’s Fair site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park to Lower Manhattan. Essentially, it was a two-mile extension that started near the Forest Hills-71st Street stop, allowing riders to go from Hudson Terminal (the World Trade Center stop today) to the fairgrounds by paying an extra 5 cents on top of the normal 5-cent fare.
The line was operational into 1941, but after the World’s Fair ended, political powers within the city government could not decide what to do with it. In the end, plans to expand it were shot down, and the line was demolished. Its short life span and the little remaining evidence of the line have caused most to completely forget about its existence.