11. Two former Child’s Restaurants were in Woodside
Child’s Restaurants, among the first national dining chains in the country, once had over 125 locations in the 1920s and ’30s. Two former restaurants are found in Woodside, with others scattered around the city. The first former Child’s Building at 59-37 Queens Boulevard at 60th Street was built in 1931, according to Forgotten New York. The building’s lower level houses several everyday businesses, but it has a terra cotta decor signature of Child’s Restaurants, including sea horses, urns, and a coat of arms.
Woodside’s second former Child’s Restaurant is at 63-09 Roosevelt Avenue, containing markets and other businesses. It was built in 1925 at the corner of one of Woodside’s busiest streets, featuring nautical decor. There were a handful of Child’s Restaurants in nearby Sunnyside and College Point as well.