8. Evergreen Branch

The Evergreen Branch of the LIRR ran between Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Ridgewood, Queens. The branch began in 1874 as the Glendale and East River Railroad, and the extended Evergreen Branch was approved in 1877. Stations including Humboldt Street and Grand Street opened in 1881. Service ran predominantly during the summer season from around May to September. Passenger service on the branch from Greenpoint to South Side Crossing ended in 1886, meaning that the remainder of the line between South Side Crossing and Cooper Avenue was used for freight only.

The branch was completely abandoned in 1984, and developments were built over much of the remaining track. From the Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues station, passengers can see an abandoned lot that faintly shows where the line traversed. There are a few other spots in that area of Brooklyn that hint at the abandoned line’s presence.