3. Loew’s Canal Theater
Located at 31 Canal Street, Loew’s Canal Theater was built in 1927. At the time of its construction, the theater was New York City’s second-largest theater, boasting 2,314 seats. Loew’s sold the theater to the Mayer & Schneider Circuit in 1929, though it quickly went bankrupt and was resold back to Loew’s within the year. The theater, designed by Thomas Lamb, was known for showing lesser-known films and serials.
Though Loew’s Canal Theater closed in the 1950s, much of its decor remains in good shape. The facade of the building’s lobby has since been named a city landmark. Following design trends observed in various theaters that Lamb built, the theater’s floors and blind openings are covered in terra cotta. Lamb elevated his design practices through the inclusion of griffons, eagles, and fanciful sea monsters on the cornice line, which stands above the roof line.