7. The Hollywood Theatre
The Hollywood Theatre, residing on the East Village‘s Avenue A between 6th and 7th Streets, first opened on March 11, 1926. The theater had several different owners during its years of operation. First, it was owned by the Mayer & Schneider Circuit, then RKO, and finally Loew’s before it was eventually closed in 1959.
The Hollywood Theater’s orchestra and lobby have since been converted to retail space, with the orchestra converted into a health food store called the East Village Farm and the lobby laying abandoned for the past several years. Much of the theater’s exterior as well as the fire escape still remain. Unfortunately, the spot’s demolition began in 2015.