5. Charles Street Farmhouse, 121 Charles Street (~1810)
This isolated, peaceful, and secretive farmhouse that has survived for over 200 years was originally located on the Upper East Side at York Avenue and 71st Street. The farmhouse dates back to the 18th or early 19th century according to the Greenwich Village Historic District Designation Report, and some sources actually date the house to 1810.
In 1868 Irish immigrants William Glass and his wife bought the house and used it for dairy and eventually they lived in it. They built a small brick house in house in front of the farmhouse which they used as a tea room and in the 1940s the brick building functioned as a restaurant: Healy’s Dining Room. Furthermore, in the 1940s to 1950s, the author Margaret Wise Brown rented the house. Brown is the author of the children’s book Mister Dog which shows an illustration of this house. She is also the author of Goodnight Moon; so, the house is sometimes referred to as the “Goodnight Moon House.”