4. Pike Street Synagogue

Pike Street Synagogue
Image by Jim.henderson, via Wikimedia Commons

The former synagogue building at 13-15 Pike Street once served the congregation Sons of Isreal Kalw Arie. Now, it serves a congregation of another faith, Buddhism. Built in 1903-1904 and designed by architect Alfred E. Badt, the synagogue is a New York City landmark. The Sons of Isreal Kalw Arie, which began in 1853 remained in this large synagogue until the 1980s.

Today, the building has many uses. On the ground floor, flanked by the former synagogue’s twin staircases there is a commercial space. The main level houses a Buddhist temple and apartments can be found on the upper floors.