7. St. Barbara’s Greek Orthodox Church
St. Barbara’s Greek Orthodox Church at 27 Forsyth Street in Chinatown is another synagogue turned church conversion. It is named after the martyr Saint Barbara, the patron saint of firefighters and artillery, a saint many looked to during World War II.
The synagogue building dedicated in 1892 for the Congregation Kol Israel Anshe Poland. After more than thirty years in service, the synagogue was foreclosed on in 1926. Eventually, a Greek Orthodox congregation acquired the building and in 1934 it became St. Barbara.