29. Ten Broeck Mansion
The Ten Broeck Mansion in Albany was built for General Abraham Ten Broeck and his wife, Elizabeth Van Rensselaer from 1797 to 1798. Both Ten Broek and Rensselaer were part of influential Dutch families who were among the first Europeans to settle in the area. The home’s design is attributed to local architect Phillip Hooker. The couple named the home “Prospect.”
In 1848, Thomas Worth Olcott, president of the Mechanics and Farmers Bank of Albany, purchased the home, He renamed it Arbour Hill, the 18th-century name given to the hill the house was built on. The Olcott family donated the Mansion to the Albany County Historical Association in 1948. Today, the ACHA gives tours of the mansion and garden and provides education programs for the community.