Former U.S. President Martin Van Buren purchased Lindenwald in 1839, though the original house was built in 1797. He lived there after his Presidency until his death. The house is located in Kinderhook, New York, the town where Van Buren was born. Van Buren used the grounds of his estate to demonstrate progressive agriculture. These new and improved methods showed how better farming could be achieved without the use of slave labor, in the lead-up to the Civil War.
Lindenwald was renovated by architect Richard Upjohn from 1849 to 1850. Upjohn’s work can be seen throughout New York City. He most famously designed Trinity Church. Today, the house is operated by the National Park Service, which runs daily tours of the estate.