4. Little Neck Parkway is the easternmost north/south route in Queens

Little Neck Parkway

Little Neck Parkway, which extends from Little Neck to Floral Park, is Queens’s easternmost north/south route. Little Neck Parkway extends all the way to Udalls Cove and crosses Northern Boulevard, the Long Island Expressway, and Grand Central Parkway, serving mostly as a residential street. Little Neck was mostly farmland until the turn of the 20th century, even though the Long Island Rail Road was extended to Little Neck in 1866. A trolley service was operated along Northern Boulevard by the North Shore Traction Company from 1910 to 1920. Little Neck Parkway, though, allowed for easier transit along the eastern border of Queens, leading to rapid residential and commercial development throughout the mid-1900s.

Little Neck Parkway contains one of New York City’s only at-grade railroad crossings at the Little Neck Long Island Rail Road station. Though not technically in Little Neck, the Queens County Farm Museum just south of the border in Glen Oaks is situated on Little Neck Parkway. The museum hosts the city’s only corn maze and serves as New York City’s oldest working historical farm. It holds the title for New York City’s largest remaining tract of undisturbed land and the longest continuously farmed site in the state (in operation since 1697); the farmhouse dates back to 1772 and is one of the borough’s older buildings.