5. Beaver Street
The present Beaver Street encompasses three New York City colonial streets with Dutch street names that were Beaver Gracht, Prince Straet, and Sloat Lane. The original name of the street was Begijn Gracht which loosely translates to “lay nun.” The street contained the Beaver Gracht, or Beaver Canal in 1658 which was later filled in.
Beaver Street was extended to its current length in 1837. Its name, which dates to before 1693, signifies the importance of beavers to the Dutch colony. Beaver pelts were a vital part of the city’s fur trade.