Virtual Talk: Christmastime Animal Tales of Jolly Old Gotham
Animal Stories That Made the Holiday Headlines in Old New York
Take a virtual sleigh ride back in time with Peggy Gavan, author of The Cat Men of Gotham and Hatching Cat NYC, as she takes you over the river and through the woods to Christmas past in Old New York. Explore some of the city’s timeless holiday traditions via fun and amazing animal stories that made the headlines in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Hear about: Hear about:
- The penguins and sea lions that frolicked in the Prometheus Fountain
- The Christmas kittens born in the Dewey Arch on Fifth Avenue
- The Bronx Zoo reindeer delivered by crane to Rockefeller Center
- The animal balloons that crashed into planes at the Macy’s Parade
- The holiday rush on Angora cats at Wanamaker’s Dry Goods Store
- The annual yuletide event “to celebrate all good dogs, cats, and horses”
- The horses that delivered America’s first public Christmas tree
- And a holiday kitten shipped to Yorkville by parcel-post-delivery
Fun for animal lovers and history fans alike!
HOW TO JOIN
If you are already an Untapped New York Insider, log in to your account and register for the event. You will receive an email confirmation with the Zoom link to join. You will need to download the Zoom app for your computer or phone in order to join the event.
If you are not an Untapped New York Insider yet, become one today and join the event! Get two months free with code JOINUS.
If you don't see a "Register" button on this page, please make sure you are logged in and refresh this page.
See our full list of Untapped New York Insiders member events .
Image 1 and Image 2 via Library of Congress