Steinway Factory Tour with Exclusive Access to the Secret Piano Vault
Experience the making of a Steinway from wood selection to polishing to final tuning
See how a Steinway piano is created on an in-depth tour of the Steinway Factory in Astoria, Queens, and gain exclusive access to the secret piano vault, a space that only four people in the company have access to. On this factory tour led by Anthony Gilroy the Senior Director of Marketing at Steinway & Sons, Insiders will witness the process of how Steinways are handcrafted, from the selection of raw wood to their final tuning. The factory is located where the original Steinway compound was established in the late 1800s. The Queens location is one of two worldwide, the other is in Hamburg, Germany. In addition to the factory tour, Untapped New York Insiders will get to go inside the hidden piano vault where some of the finest pianos are on display in custom-designed displays.
The Vault can only be unlocked using a biometric fingerprint scanner which only recognizes the fingerprints of four people in the entire company. All of the pianos in The Vault retail for at least $200,000. The pianos on display include a limited edition piano emblazoned with artwork by John Lennon and a Lang Lang Black Diamond Limited Edition piano that is signed by the pianist.
This tour will take place on January 22nd at 9:30 AM. Th event has limited capacity. We will be adding dates for factory tours of Steinway shortly and will notify everyone on the waitlist when those are available.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- The factory is large and the tour covers a significant area. You must be able to stand and walk for one and a half to two hours. The tour includes 3-4 flights of stairs.
- Children under the age of 16 are not permitted on the Factory tour.
- There is neither seating nor rest areas available, and there are no restrooms available on the shop floor.
- Open shoes, sandals, flip flops, etc. are not permitted on the tour.
- Canes, walkers and wheelchairs are not permitted on the tour.
- Individuals with pacemakers or similar devices will not be allowed on the tour. (Factory equipment may interfere with the device.)
- Note that tour participants will be exposed to dust and chemical odors.
- Visitor parking is extremely limited near the factory. Street parking is an option, though it may be limited, too. The factory is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Ditmars N/Q line (the factory is a little over a mile from the subway).
- If visitor parking is full, there is a public parking garage, open 24/7. The garage entrance is located on Steinway Street off the corner of 20th Avenue (between 20th Avenue and 19th Avenue). Applicable fees apply.
- Photography is not permitted.
HOW TO BOOK
If you’re already an Insider, you will be able to register for this tour on this page if you are logged in to your account when registration opens on 1/15 at 12 PM EST.
If you’re not an Insider yet, join today and register for this tour on this page when tickets go live on 1/15 at 12 PM EST.
If you don't see a "Book Now" button on this page, it means you are not logged in as an Insider and/or registration has not opened yet.
Tickets are limited to one per member unless the member is an Explorer level member and can bring a guest. Tickets are non-transferable and your membership must be active when the tour takes place. Each booking will be verified to ensure each guest is a member. Please be courteous of your fellow Insiders – if you are no longer able to make a tour but have ticket(s), let us know at [email protected] we can release those spots to other members. We hope you are as excited as we are about this experience and hope you can join us!
See our full list of Untapped New York Insiders member events and our upcoming public tours.[mepr-show if="rule: 518547"]
- Registration Opens Wednesday, January 15th, 2020 at 12PM EST
- Capacity: 10 guests. Spots located on a first come, first serve basis
- Time: Wednesday, January 22nd, 2020 at 9:30AM - 12:00PM
- Witness the entire process of building a piano inside the Steinway Factory
- Gain exclusive access to the secret piano vault, not usually on the tour!