Historic Houses on the Dutch Heritage Trail
Ever wonder how different cultures leave their mark on NYC? In this program, Matthew Coody, Director of External Affairs at the Historic House Trust of NYC, will guide attendees along a virtual heritage trail that explores the lasting impact of the Dutch colonists on NYC’s architecture
- Explore a chamber of Dutch secrets at Van Cortlandt House Museum in The Bronx, where a room curated in the early 20th century tells the story of a 17th century family in the New Netherland colony.
- The reconstructed Old Stone House passes as a Dutch farmhouse from 1699, but in reality it’s much younger. Dig into this site’s interesting saga, and its connection to a noted “power broker” and the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- Where do a Princess of Holland, a Dutch brickmaker, and a local real estate magnate intersect? Delve into the fascinating tale of the basement floor in Staten Island’s Conference House, which we couldn’t make up if we tried.
- How did NYC’s Hell Gate get its name? We’ll explore some theories dating back to 1614.
- See inside the oldest surviving building in New York State, Brooklyn’s Wyckoff Farmhouse.
About the event:
Ever wonder how different cultures leave their mark on NYC? Scattered across the five boroughs, NYC’s historic house museums tell the story of those who built our great city, including the Dutch colonists who established New Netherland. In this program, Matthew Coody, Director of External Affairs at the Historic House Trust of NYC, will guide attendees along a virtual heritage trail that explores the lasting impact of the Dutch colonists on NYC’s architecture and interiors, from New York State’s oldest existing structure to unexpected ties to the Netherlands that persist into the 20th century. Along the way, history and culture will come alive as we explore the odd, interesting, and ever-present remnants of Dutch-American cultural heritage, hiding in plain sight and waiting to be unearthed.
About the Speaker
Matthew Coody is the Director of External Affairs at the Historic House Trust of NYC
Attendees will receive a link to join the webinar after completing the registration.
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are not an Insider yet, become an Insider today and join this event for free!
If you are an Untapped New York Insiders, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. Check out our FAQ for videos and more help documents.
I registered already, how do I join the event?
After signing up for the event, you will receive an email with a link from Livestorm. Simply click on this link to join the event! Please check your junk mail if you can’t find your Livestorm link.
I missed the event, can I watch the replay?
Yes you can! Simply go to the Video Archive and stream over 100 past webinars, including this one. You will also get a link with the recording of the webinar as soon as it ends