Explore the historic Green-Wood Cemetery after dark and enter the catacombs, an area usually off-limits to the public!
- Discover the connection between the tobacco shop owner John Anderson, the mysterious murder of Mary Rogers, “The Beautiful Cigar Girl,” and Edgar Allen Poe!
- Visit the Pilot’s Monument, dedicated by New York Harbor pilots after the tragic sinking of the John Minturn
- Meet Elias Howe, the man behind the sewing machine and his beloved dog Fannie, buried behind Howe’s monument
- Stop by the grave of Elizabeth Gloucester, the Black woman entrepreneur whose fortune helped fund John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry.
- Enter The Catacombs: Take a sneak peek into one of the Cemetery’s rarely opened structures!
About this Tour:
Long after Green-Wood’s gates close to the public, explore its historic grounds under the cover of night. You’ll weave through the Cemetery’s stunning landscape and visit the graves of fascinating figures in New York and American history. This not-to-be-missed walking tour ends with a visit to the Catacombs, which are normally closed to the public.
About Your Guide
Green-Wood’s veteran tour guide LJ Lindhurst will lead this 2-hour walking tour. She is one of a dedicated group of tour guides who are knowledgeable in the art, history, and nature found at the Cemetery. Many of our tour guides have backgrounds in art history, business, and journalism, making it easier for them to pique attendees’ interests with fun facts and information.
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are not an Insider yet, become an Insider today and join this event for free!
If you are an Untapped New York Insider, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. If you still can’t log in, please email: [email protected]