The Waldorf Astoria: “American Hotel” Book Talk
Explore the glamorous and scandalous history of the historic Waldorf Astoria Hotel in this book talk on American Hotel: The Waldorf-Astoria and the Making of a Century by David Freeland:
- Uncover the history of Peacock Alley and how it got its name
- Find out the truth about the “feuding” Astor cousins whose money built the original Waldorf- Astoria on Fifth Avenue, where the Empire State Building now stands
- Discover secrets of the Waldorf’s “black book” – the detectives’ log of immoral and illegal activity kept hidden from all but the most senior hotel staff
- Learn about the remarkable technological maneuvers that enabled the “new” Waldorf-Astoria – a a skyscraper that opened on Park Avenue in 1931 – to be constructed on top of railroad tracks as passenger trains continued to run below.
- Receive a 30% discount code to purchase Freeland’s book
About the event:
Known internationally as a symbol of elegance and luxury, Manhattan’s Waldorf-Astoria is one of the world’s most famous hotels. Its reputation as a host to political leaders and movie stars is matched only by the renown of its cuisine and soaring Deco architecture. In this lecture based on his new book, American Hotel: The Waldorf-Astoria and The Making of a Century, historian David Freeland will take us behind the glittering image, using rare photos and documents to reveal the full extent of the Waldorf’s contribution as a shaper of twentieth-century life and culture.
Attendees will receive a link to join the webinar after completing the registration.
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are an Untapped New York Insiders, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. If you still can’t log in, please email: [email protected]
I registered already, how do I join the event?
After signing up for the event, you will receive an email with a link from Livestorm. Simply click on this link to join the event! Please check your junk mail if you can’t find your Livestorm link.
I missed the event, can I watch the replay?
Yes you can! Simply go to the Video Archive and stream over 100 past webinars, including this one. You will also get a link with the recording of the webinar as soon as it ends.