Photo via Flickr by Paterson Great Falls
The Grange is believed to be the only home ever owned by founding father Alexander Hamilton. After being uprooted and relocated twice, once in 1889 and again in 2008, the house now sits in St. Nicholas Park, in the historic Hamilton Heights section of Harlem, on land that Hamilton owned in the early 1800s. On this Untapped Cities Insiders tour led by the National Park Service, members will be guided by a park ranger through historically furnished rooms – rooms that are only accessible with a guide – to learn what life in the 19th century was like for the Hamilton family at the Grange.
The federalist style structure, built in 1802, was designed by architect John McComb, Jr. who also designed other famous New York City buildings such as Gracie Mansion and Castle Clinton. “Grange” refers to an ancestral home and was chosen as a name by Hamilton in respect to his father’s homestead in Scotland. Hamilton Grange, once a foreclosed property, a chapel and an investment piece, is now a National Memorial to one of America’s most revered founders. Alexander Hamilton lived at The Grange until his death by the hand of Aaron Burr in 1804.
DATE: Friday, August 3rd, 2018 at 11 AM to 12 PM
PRICE: FREE for Untapped Cities Insiders!
CAPACITY: 30 guests. Spots allocated on a first come, first served basis.
REGISTRATION: Opens Friday July 20th at 12 PM EST
- Explore the historically restored and furnished main living areas used by the Hamilton’s including their dining room, parlor, and main entranceway where they received guests, with the guidance of a National Park Service Ranger
- See 19th century artifacts and furnishings that are original to the home
- Learn about the architectural history of the Grange and about the daily life of its famous owner
- View a short film highlighting Alexander Hamilton’s life in the Grange’s 25-seat theater
THINGS TO NOTE:
- The historic rooms are located on the second floor and are only accessible via a narrow, 15-step staircase. There is no elevators service at this time.
- Backpacks and large bags (including large purses and camera bags) are prohibited in the period rooms. No food or drink is allowed in the period rooms. Still photos (no flash) are allowed in the period rooms.
HOW TO BOOK: This is a members-only tour for Untapped Cities Insiders.
If you are already an Untapped Cities Insider, log in to your account, and sign up for this tour on this page when registration opens on 7/20 at 12 PM EST
If you are not an Untapped Cities Insider yet, join today and register for this tour on this page when tickets go live on 7/20 at 12 PM EST
If you don’t see a “Book Now” button on this page, it means you are not logged in as an Untapped Cities Insider and/or registration has not opened yet.
Tickets are limited to one per member, unless the member is an Explorer level member and can bring a guest. Tickets are non transferable and your membership must be active when the tour takes place. Each booking will be verified to ensure each guest is a member.
Please be courteous of your fellow Insiders – if you are no longer able to make a tour but have ticket(s), let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can release those spots to other members. We hope you are as excited as we are about this experience and hope you can join us!