Charlie Deleo, the Keeper of the Flame. Photograph by Stephanie de Rouge.
This is the first in a series of photography portrait workshops dedicated to celebrating the unsung heroes behind NYC’s iconic monuments! Upcoming workshops include photographing the “voice of the NYC Subway” and more!
- Get a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet the man behind one of NYC’s most notable monuments, Charlie Deleo, also known as the “Keeper of the Flame,” who spent 33 years taking care of the Statue of Liberty.
- Discover the secrets of the Statue of Liberty on a short tour given by Delco who will share stories from his unusual life
- Challenge your photography skills with Stephanie de Rouge, a critically acclaimed, New York City-based photographer who is on the faculty of the International Center of Photography
- Learn behind-the-scenes stories about the Statue of Liberty from a New York City icon, who rarely meets with the public
- Learn de Rouge’s signature three secrets of making a great portrait in less than 5 minutes
- Tour Date: May 16th, 2018 at 9 AM to 12 PM
- Price: $390 (ferry ticket is included in the price).
- What to know: The workshop is 3 hours long (not counting transportation to Liberty Island). It includes a photography lesson targeted towards fast and efficient portraiture as well as working under the challenges of
changing maritime light. Each student will have a few minutes alone with Charlie to take his portrait. We will end the workshop at the cafeteria of Ellis Island to review the pictures, critique and sharing your experience and challenges during the session, Please note that during this tour we will not have access to the Statue of Liberty.
About Stephanie de Rouge:
Stephanie is a portraitist, art director, and book maker who has been living and working in New York for the past 13 years. She shoots portraiture for multiple magazines throughout the world and her work can be found in publications such as the New York Times, Le Monde, The Guardian and Liberation. But what she excels at (and enjoys the most) is going on adventures while teaching photography! She started teaching at the International Center of Photography in 2008 and has since then been asked to create and teach multiple classes in the renowned school, including her signature class “The 5 minute portrait”.
After a few years in the classroom sharing ideas, shooting thousands of portraits, challenging students, observing and practicing all aspects of portraiture, Stephanie wanted to take her expertise and her students to the field! That is when she met with the team of Untapped Cities and started imagining a series of unique, powerful and exciting photographic adventures around silent figures of iconic New York. This is as close as it gets to a behind-the-scenes professional assignment for press. Come join the adventure! Link to students testimonials. Connect with Stephanie on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter!