It’s easy to imagine The Pavilion Theatre in south Park Slope in its heyday. Built in 1928, The Pavilion sits at the southeast corner of Prospect Park, on a roundabout designed by park architects Frederick Law Olmstedand Calvert Vaux in an homage to Paris’ grand boulevards. Today, the building still looms tall with a striking marquee and elongated windows on the facade – though clearly all worse for the wear following decades of decline.
Locals and preservationists breathed a sigh of relief when plans for turning The Pavilion Theatre into a condo fell through. Nitehawk Cinema, founded by Matthew Viragh, stepped in to retain The Pavilion as Park Slope’s only movie theater, signing a long term lease with the new owners, 188 Prospect Park West L.L.C., which purchased the space in August 2016 for $28 million. A movie theater has been located on this site since 1908, so with Nitehawk operating on a long term lease, cinema will now have had (more or less) a continuous presence at this spot for over a century.