Gramercy Park Tours
Tour of the Players Club on Gramercy Park
Get exclusive access inside one of New York City’s oldest private club and explore its stunning building.
This members only social club was founded in 1889 by Edwin Booth, one the most renowned American actors of the 19th century, along with fifteen friends and colleagues including Mark Twain and General William T. Sherman. Today’s notable members include Jimmy Fallon, Ethan Hawke and Tommy Lee Jones, whose portraits hang in the club’s grand staircase.
Edwin Booth commissioned his friend, famed architect Stanford White, to redesign the façade and interiors of the Gothic-Revival mansion at 16 Gramercy Park South. This lovely building stands today, an historic and atmospheric private social club that has been home to several generations of actors, artists, writers and arts aficionados far and wide. Edwin Booth, brother of the infamous John Wilkes who assassinated Abraham Lincoln, lived in an apartment on the third floor that remains virtually unaltered since he died on June 7th, 1893. In this Gramercy Park tour, you'll get exclusive access inside the Player's Club to learn about the history behind NYC's oldest private club.Book Now
- Learn about the history of the Club and its members.
- Visit the room in which actors met secretly in 1913 to form the Actors Equity Association.
- Walk inside Edwin Booth’s bedroom, which has been left untouched since his passing in 1893, where you will see the skull he used in his famous 100 consecutive performances of Hamlet.
- Visit the Hampden-Booth Theatre Library, which contains a vital collection of books, plays, theatre magazines and other artifacts of 19th and early 20th century American and British theatre history.
- View the Players Club’s impressive art collections, including portraits by Everett Raymond Kinstler, Edwin’s theater costumes, and more.
- Get a close look at Mark Twain’s poker table and pool cue!
Fascinating tour! I walk by the building almost everyday and always wondered what it looked like inside… I wasn’t disappointed by what I saw. My favorite part was to see Mark Twain’s poker table!Susan X.
Stepping inside Edwin Booth’s room was like walking into a time capsule! Highly recommend this tour if you like history and architecture.Stephen Y.
This tour was a treat! So happy we went and got to see what the inside of a private club on Gramercy Park looks like.Joe M.
What Guests Have to Say
Experienced this tour before? Drop us a line!
Know Before You Go
Where To Meet
16 Gramercy Park S, New York, NY 10003
How To Get There
By subway: 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, W to 14th St Union Square
What To Bring/Wear
The Players Club has a strict dress code and expects tour guests to dress Business Casual. No sneakers, flip-flops, shorts, tee shirts, torn jeans.
Frequently Asked Questions
How strenuous is the tour? How much walking will we do?
This tour is easy and most people can participate.
Is there an age limit or recommendation?
No age limitation.
Who will guide our tour?
One of our licensed NYC Tour guides.
Is there a dress code?
Yes, the Players Club will only allow you in the club if you are dressed Business Casual. No sneakers, flip-flops, shorts, tee shirts, torn jeans.
We'll help you rediscover New York City.
Reach out and we’ll answer questions, help you plan a private event, and more.