Meet the Voice of the Subway in our upcoming NYC Iconic Portraits Photography Workshop. Photo by Stephanie de Rouge.
- Get a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet the voice of the New York City Subway, Bernie Wagenblast. Well, technically one of the five voices! If you’ve ever heard the words “There is an uptown local 1 train to Van Cortlandt Park-242nd Street” and the like, it’s him! Bernie does all the announcements on the platforms of the numbered trains.
- Challenge your photography skills with Stephanie de Rouge, a critically acclaimed, New York City-based photographer who is on the faculty of the International Center of Photography
- Learn behind-the-scenes stories about the New York City subway system from Bernie, a transit expert who is also the voice of the AirTrain at JFK Airport and Newark Airport. Beyond this, he established the first transportation communication center for the NYC DOT, operations manager of TRANSCOM for the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, and can currently be heard reporting the traffic on WINS, WKXW and WRCN.
- Learn de Rouge’s signature three secrets of making a great portrait in less than 5 minutes
- Learn to deal with noise, underground activity and commute craziness while your are having a conversation with your model
- Test your knowledge on white balance and incandescent light
- Learn tips on how to photograph in low light
- Tour Date: Wednesday, June 27th at 10 AM to 1 PM
- Price: $390
- What to know: The workshop is 3 hours long. It includes a photography lesson targeted towards photography in low light and dealing with noise, underground activity and commute craziness while your are having a conversation with your model. Each student will have a few minutes alone with Bernie to take his portrait. No refunds or cancellations.
About Stephanie de Rouge:
Stephanie is a portraitist, art director, and book maker who has been living and working in New York for the past 13 years. She shoots portraiture for multiple magazines throughout the world and her work can be found in publications such as the New York Times, Le Monde, The Guardian and Liberation. But what she excels at (and enjoys the most) is going on adventures while teaching photography! She started teaching at the International Center of Photography in 2008 and has since then been asked to create and teach multiple classes in the renowned school, including her signature class “The 5 minute portrait”.
After a few years in the classroom sharing ideas, shooting thousands of portraits, challenging students, observing and practicing all aspects of portraiture, Stephanie wanted to take her expertise and her students to the field! That is when she met with the team of Untapped Cities and started imagining a series of unique, powerful and exciting photographic adventures around silent figures of iconic New York. This is as close as it gets to a behind-the-scenes professional assignment for press. Come join the adventure! Link to students testimonials. Connect with Stephanie on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter!