Inside the Chambers Street station in Lower Manhattan
- Explore City Hall Park as the birthplace of the NYC subway system, including elements of the famed, decommissioned City Hall Station you can see right in the park
- Learn about the comically short route of the mythical “Subway before the Subway,” Alfred Ely Beach’s Pneumatic Transit System
- See the architectural ghosts of the now nearly forgotten, and partially abandoned, Chambers Street station then nicknamed the “Grand Central of Downtown”
- Use the 6 train as your own time machine as you ride through abandoned subway stations
- Discover the remnants of Union Station as you learn about a hidden art installation thousands of riders walk by everyday
- Price: $35 per person
- What to know: The tour is 2 hours long, requires 2 metro card swipes and is happening rain or shine! Please note the route might change slightly depending on the MTA schedule. No cancellations or refunds.
- What to wear: Bring comfortable shoes, as the tour requires walking up and down stairs
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY ABOUT THIS TOUR:
“An amazing tour! I learned so much about the history of the NYC subway system. Our guide knew so much information on not only the subway system but of historical NYC. Can’t wait to take another tour with Untapped Cities.” — 73Becky, Trip Advisor
“Loved today’s tour of the NYC subway with Mandy–she is knowledgable, interesting, and funny, and I learned a ton. Highly recommend this urban adventure, especially for locals and those interested in public transit.” – Gaelle G, Trip Advisor
“Subway Tour was amazing!! Did a tour of the NYC subway system. As a person who is interested in the past of NYC, I thought I already knew a fair bit about the subject, but the tour was so in depth that I learned a lot, but so well narrated and paced that I genuinely enjoyed the entire tour and did not feel bogged down by the details. Highly recommended!” — minimierno, Trip Advisor
“This was an awesome, well organized tour that included lots of great history and terrific details. The tour guide was prepared and displayed excitement for the topic.” — Ilene R, Trip Advisor
“As a lover of NYC History and infrastructure this tour was so much fun! Justin was such an excellent tour guide and we really did get to experience the past present and future of our beloved (and begrudged) subway system.” — Reid B, Trip Advisor
MORE ABOUT THIS TOUR:
Take a ride through the living history of the world’s largest rapid transit system (in area) by weaving in and out of the past and present transit hubs of lower Manhattan. This unique tour is designed to give a comprehensive history of the NYC Subway system, from its groundbreaking in 1901 up through the creation of the three different proprietary lines which were unified into the system we know today. We’ll uncover information and learn about spaces even the most seasoned commuter might not know about.
This tour will stop in stations that are all open to the public. Using the 6 train as our own ten-car time machine, we will ride through and see three abandoned ghost stations that 4, 5, and 6 riders unknowingly pass through everyday: Worth Street, 18th Street and the famed City Hall Station. We will not stop inside these stations.
PHOTOS OF THE TOUR:
The story behind the art in the Fulton Street station
Remnants of the original subway lines