New York City’s historic armories can be seen all around the city, and are currently used for all kinds of purposes in addition to some that retain their original function. They were built between the 18th and 20th centuries for New York State volunteer militia, serving as storage of arms and housing. These monumental fortresses were meant to remind the public of the military’s might and ability to maintain domestic law. Thankfully for us, the militia took great care in designing their fortresses and we have been left with remarkable armories that remind us of an important time in our city’s history. Some still function as National Guard posts, but many have been repurposed since the mid-20th century.
Here is a list of the remaining armories in the five boroughs of New York City.
1. Rose Hill Armory Hall, Fordham Rose Hill Campus
Rose Hill Armory Hall at Fordham Universit
Year Built: 1838
Where: 441 East Fordham Road
Rose Hill Armory Hall at Fordham University in the Bronx dates back to when the university was known as St. John’s College. This building is the second Rose Hill Manor House, which contained an armory inside. The second manor house replaced an earlier one which according to legend was a headquarters for George Washington during the American Revolution. Today, it houses Campus Administration for Fordham.