Andrew Haswell Green: Unsung Hero
In this virtual talk led by former Manhattan Borough President Historian, Michael Miscione, discover the life and legacy of Andrew H. Green (1820-1903) the unsung 19th century master planner, reformer, and preservationist whose accomplishments helped transform New York into a world-class city.
- Learn how Central Park, the Met, the American Museum of Natural History, the New York Public Library, and the Wildlife Conservation Society (with its Bronx Zoo) owe their existence in large part to Mr. Green.
- Learn how Mr. Green masterminded the 1898 consolidation of the five boroughs, a measure that expanded the city’s size five-fold and earned him the nickname “The Father of Greater New York.”
- Hear the musical anthem that rallied Brooklynites to oppose the consolidation movement, or as they called it, “Green’s hobby.”
- Learn how Mr. Green unified and formalized New York’s early historic preservation movement 60 years before the epic battle to save Penn Station made the term “preservationist” fashionable.
- Learn about Mr. Green’s shocking and mysterious death
About the event:
Historians who are familiar with Mr. Green’s career often compare him to Robert Moses. Yet, unlike Mr. Moses, Mr. Green’s name usually evokes a shrug, even from well informed New Yorkers. For over twenty years former Manhattan Borough Historian Michael Miscione has been working to change that. Mr. Miscione will present an hourlong illustrated talk about Mr. Green, featuring rare images, documents, and even music.
About Michael Miscione:
Michael Miscione served as the Manhattan Borough Historian from 2006 to 2019. He is a native New Yorker, a professional tour guide, and a historical activist. He is well known for his ongoing efforts to secure recognition for Mr. Green. He has given lectures and interviews about the man, and every year he presides over a tribute ceremony for Mr. Green at the Green Memorial Bench in Central Park. Thanks largely to Mr. Miscione’s efforts, the NYC Parks Department has named a Manhattan park for Mr. Green at East 61 Street and the East River
Attendees will receive a link to join the webinar after completing the registration.
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are not an Insider yet, become an Insider today.
If you are an Untapped New York Insiders, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. Check out our FAQ for videos and more help documents.I registered already, how do I join the event?
After signing up for the event, you will receive an email with a link from Livestorm. Simply click on this link to join the event! Please check your junk mail if you can’t find your Livestorm link.
I missed the event, can I watch the replay?
Yes you can! Simply go to the Video Archive and stream over 100 past webinars, including this one. You will also get a link with the recording of the webinar as soon as it ends