Bronx Movie Theaters
Discover the lost movie theaters and movie palaces of the Bronx!
- Learn about The Metropolis, The Bronx’s first theater, from 1897, which originally hosted vaudeville and other live performances
- Discover The Bronx Opera House, co-founded by George M. Cohan (of Yankee Doodle Dandy fame) in 1913 and designed by the same architect responsible for Harlem’s legendary Apollo Theatre
- Uncover the history of the Boulevard Theatre, which was associated with big names like noted theater architect Thomas W. Lamb (United Palace), theater magnate Marcus Loew, and Irving Berlin who “sang a number of his latest hits” on opening night
- Find out more about the Wakefield Theatre, where a young woman in her early 20s served as manager during World War II and also received a commendation from the police for catching a car thief outside the theater.
- Explore the Loew’s Paradise, one of the five legendary Loews Wonder Theatres, the zenith of the atmospheric movie palaces, now a designated NYC Landmark and Interior Landmark, in which “the whole composition is designed to create an illusion of being seated in an Italian garden”; now a church.
About this Webinar:
The Bronx was home to over a hundred movie theaters in the years before World War II and many of the old buildings remain, hiding in plain sight as churches, stores, offices, and even a daycare center. Join Untapped contributing writer and Insider Jeff Reuben for an in-depth look 14 notable theaters from the borough’s past that, in altered forms, continue to form part of the urban landscape.
About Your Guide:
Jeff Reuben is a city planner in New York and has been a contributing writer to Untapped since 2015.
Attendees will receive a link to join the webinar after completing the registration.
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are an Untapped New York Insiders, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. If you still can’t log in, please email: [email protected]
I registered already, how do I join the event?
After signing up for the event, you will receive an email with a link from Livestorm. Simply click on this link to join the event! Please check your junk mail if you can’t find your Livestorm link.
I missed the event, can I watch the replay?
Yes you can! Simply go to the Video Archive and stream over 100 past webinars, including this one. You will also get a link with the recording of the webinar as soon as it ends.