Patented Book Talk
Celebrate the book launch of an unprecedented, essential field guide to more than a century of fascinating product and industrial design, told through 1,000 design patents!
- Learn about notable designers, architects, and celebrities – Jacobsen, Dreyfuss, Eames, Rams, Saarinen, Knoll, Loewy, Sottsass, and Starck are featured. There are some surprises too: Prince, Elon Musk, Donatella Versace, and Francis Ford Coppola are also included as inventors.
- Rediscover little-known designs by famous designers unearthed in parsing through design patents.
- Uncover prolific but long-forgotten designers whose vast bodies of work are revealed in patent searches.
- Explore the “curation” that went into shortlisting 1,000 designs from a pool of nearly 800,000.
- Discover globalization and other underlying trends as illustrated by patents – for example, US patents issued to Chinese residents are now over 20,000 annually, up from about 50 per year in the 1990s.
- Save 20% off a copy of Patented with a unique discount code!
About this Webinar:
Patented spotlights objects everyone will be familiar with, from vegetable peelers to ATM machines, alongside creations from Elon Musk, a tape dispenser or a Vespa. From legendary classics to anonymous objects that are indispensable in homes and offices, Patented contains patents that are not only fascinating design documents in their own right, but that also form a unique history of design. The uniform aesthetic of patent drawings means that all 1,000 designs are viewed equally, whether a chair from Gehry or Eames, a calculator or a blender.
Beyond offering a fascinating catalogue of designs from the last 120 years, Patented features some of the biggest names in product design including Jacobsen, Dreyfuss, Eames, Rams, Saarinen, Knoll, Loewy, Sottsass and Starck. Patented also includes some surprises too, with names such as Issey Miyake, Donatella Versace and Francis Ford Coppola included as inventors.
About Thomas Rinaldi
Thomas Rinaldi is an architectural designer based in New York City with degrees from Georgetown and Columbia Universities. He has written several architecture books and his photographs have been published in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and New York Post. He has lectured widely, including at the New York Public Library and the Society of Architectural Historians.
Attendees will receive a link to join the webinar after completing the registration
How do I sign up for this event?
If you are not an Insider yet, become an Insider today and join this event for free or you can purchase a one-time ticket to this event for $10, here!
If you are an Untapped New York Insiders, simply login to your Insider account using the round icon in the bottom right corner of this screen. Once logged in, clock on the “Book Now” button to book this event for free!
Can’t login to your Insiders account?
Please make sure you are trying to sign in with the correct email address. If you have more than one email address please try logging in with all of them, that will solve this issue 99% of the time. If you still can’t log in, please email: [email protected]
I registered already, how do I join the event?
After signing up for the event, you will receive an email with a link from Livestorm. Simply click on this link to join the event! Please check your junk mail if you can’t find your Livestorm link.
I missed the event, can I watch the replay?
Yes you can! Simply go to the Video Archive and stream over 100 past webinars, including this one. You will also get a link with the recording of the webinar as soon as it ends.