At Untapped Cities, we have a particular interest in repurposed places. New York City has historically been adept at adaptive reuse, though there are plenty of examples of the city forgetting this particular skill too. In addition to NYC’s repurposed banks, churches, synagogues, theaters, psychiatric asylums, and parking garages, here are eight fire stations that have been converted into great uses.
This incredible chateau-like firehouse was built by Napoleon Le Brun at a cost of $80,000 in 1896. It was home to Engine Company 31 until 1972 when it was decommissioned by the FDNY. Fortunately, it was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places ten months before, so the structure still survives today. In 1983, DCTV and the Chinese-American Planning Council purchased the building for $400,000, and performed additional restoration work.