In our roundup of nautically-influenced architecture in New York City, the O’Toole Medical Services Building of St. Vincent’s Hospital in Greenwich Village was high on our list. Built originally for the National Maritime Union by architect Albert C. Ledner, it’s clad in white with portholes as windows. It closed in 2010, but The New York Times has reported that the building will be reused as a medical facility again by the North-Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, who will repurpose the space as an emergency room and care center.
The very creative Pez dispenser entrance above the doorway at 8 Charles Lane
In the 1800s, the Charles Lane Mews was given the name Pig Alley due to the large number of pigs in and around the slaughterhouses close to West Street near what was then the Newgate Prison. After the prison closed in 1829, some of the warehouses and stables in the area were converted into residences. The freight depot of Beadleston & Woerz’s brewery was one such building. It was made into duplex apartments in 1977 and it is where we first found this unusual sight a few years ago–a collection of Pez dispensers lining the top of the front door of one of the townhouses. (more…)
Walking through Greenwich Village, you might mistakenly think this adorable clapboard farmhouse at 121 Charles Street is simply a remnant of a more bucolic era in the Village. But it actually came from the Upper East Side, on 71st Street and York Avenue!
In a new book, Safe Space, the author Christina Hanhardt asserts that the 2002 Greenwich Village rally, “Take Back Our Streets” was not antigay but racial, classist and gender normative. To Hanhardt, the complaints aired by the Greenwich Village neighborhood coalition and the arc of the mainstream LGBT antiviolence movement have been “strikingly alike.” She embarked on a mission to chronicle the inextricably entwined histories of the LGBT rights movement and the American post-industrial city, both histories in which violence has played a significant role.
Sure, the Beat writers spent a lot of time in Caffe Reggio, but the restaurant actually prides itself on one other pretty neat historical detail about their establishment. Their crown jewel is the “Original Capuccino.” According to them, they were the first place to bring the now-famous caffeine drink from Italy to New York City. Caffe Reggio also made our list of the Top 10 coffee shops in Manhattan for design buffs. (more…)
A dive bar is probably not the first place one would look to find New York City’s rich history. The following places, however, are not your average bars. Most of them were around when the Brooklyn Bridge first opened in 1883. Their walls are covered in history, echoing the ghosts they have acquired over a century. They have been characters in a number of movies and books, and are in countless photographs. Their famed patrons range from George Washington to Bob Dylan, as varied as the neighborhoods where they are located, but its the neighborhood residents that have breathed life into these watering holes over the last 100+ years.
The Bridge Cafe
Almost the entirety of this street is in the process of reconstruction after Hurricane Sandy.