6. The Grange
In 1800, after retiring from government work, Hamilton decided to purchase land in northern Manhattan. In 1802 he built a house designed by architect John McComb Jr. (the same man who would design Gracie Mansion). Named after his family’s home in Scotland, The Grange was originally located at 287 Convent Avenue between 141st and 142nd Streets with a lovely view of the Hudson, Harlem, and East Rivers. In 2006 it was moved to St. Nichols Park, a few blocks north of the original location. Today the house is the Hamilton Grange National Memorial operated by the National Parks Service.