9. Consulate General of the Republic of Poland
The Consulate General of the Republic of Poland is located in the Joseph Raphael De Lamar House at 233 Madison Avenue on the corner of 37th Street in the Murray Hill neighborhood. Designed by C.P.H. Gilbert and built in 1902-05, the structure was designed to be robustly Beaux-Arts, adorned with rusticated stonework, balconies and a gargantuan mansard roof.
Originally owned by a Dutch-born merchant seaman, the building housed the American Bible Society and the National Democratic Club before sold for $900,000 to the Republic of Poland in 1973. The mansion is one of the largest and most spectacular structures in Murray Hill, especially when it’s illuminated at night. The interiors are also as elegant as the exterior, featuring neo-baroque details and a stained glass skylight.
For more, go inside with Photos Inside the Historic Polish Consulate in NYC with the NY Adventure Club.