9. The United States Army took over Newark Liberty International Airport during WWII
Residing in Newark’s original terminal during World War II, the U.S. Army Air Corps shut down the airport for all commercial use. The airport resumed normal commercial service in 1946 following the end of the war.
During their time in the Art Deco Newark terminal, members of the Army used the space for logistics operations. As the U.S. Army settled in the terminal, they decided it was too small for their uses. This is one reason that the terminal’s use terminated shortly following the war. The airport resumed normal commercial service in 1946 following the end of the war.