4. Cuyler Presbyterian Church offered Mohawk language services
Cuyler Presbyterian Church, located at 360 Pacific Street, was the cornerstone of Boerum Hill’s Mohawk community. Workers often met at the church, which operated equally as a community center. Dr. David Munroe Corey, the pastor of the Cuyler Presbyterian Church, opened it to support community activities. Corey delivered services in the Mohawk language once a month and even translated a hymnal into Mohawk. According to Corey, it is likely the only Presbyterian church to have sponsored a yearly pow-wow, drawing Native populations throughout the city to watch and take part in traditional dances, prayers, and smoke signals.
The building on Pacific Street that housed the church now serves as apartments since the early 1980s. Edward Sargent designed the church, as well as served as the delineator for Frederick Law Olmsted in the designs for Central Park. The 1892 church features a gabled roof with terracotta copings. It is situated next to the parsonage, built in 1851 in the Greek Revival style.