Private NYC Underground Subway Tour
- See the architectural ghosts of the nearly forgotten and partially abandoned, Chambers Street station then nicknamed the “Grand Central of Downtown”
- Discover the remnants of Union Square Station as you learn about a hidden art installation thousands of riders walk by everyday
- Use the 6 train as your own time machine as you ride through abandoned subway stations that most seasoned NYC commuters don’t know exist
- Explore the birth of the NYC subway system through amazing archival photos not available to the public
- Learn about the comically short route of the mythical “Subway before the Subway,” Alfred Ely Beach’s Pneumatic Transit System
Guests Love This Tour!
- Chinatown, Little Italy and LES Tasting tour Loved the tour! Richard has so much knowledge and a very pleasing way of presenting it through personal experiences. I thought the pace was perfect and he found seating places too. For some people 3 hours may be too long, but personally I could have walked and listened all day. Thanks for having this touMarlene8/04/2023
- A fun experience I really enjoyed this fun experience. The guide was very knowledgeable about new york and the subway system. Well worth the money!Coral K6/06/2023Peering into the Subway Excellent introduction to the subway system. Starting with the Fulton Center station, where the old and new collide. An excellent examination of the IRT Brooklyn Bridge station, and the adjacent BMT Chambers St station (somewhat worse for wear), and the mosaics along the IRT (which was part of the original subway), and a peak at the original City Hall station on the 6 loop. Best of all, the guide did not mind fielding questions from me, even whn I was trying to show that I knew something!Charlie I6/01/2023
- Subway facts and surprises too Alexis gave a great and informative tour of the subway and history. She was personable and knowledgeable and knew so many little facts that we found so interesting.As native New Yorkers we spent a most pleasant morning learning about the history of the different subway lines.I would totally recommend this tour. Just enough history in 2 hours.Hope E5/31/2023
- Tour Good, Recommendation Stellar. I enjoyed the tour, and the guide was very knowledgeable. I especially want to thank her for her recommendation of the documentary NY77 The Coolest Year in Hell. Not sure how I missed this one, but it was fantastic.Terry M4/24/2023
- A brilliant and fascinating tour! Alexis led our tour and was extremely knowledgable and passionate about the subway’s history and points of interest. We covered so much ground during the 2 hours and learned a great deal!mea98omp3/23/2023Well Worth the Time! I LOVED this tour. Mandy, the guide, was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and patient. Part of the tour is above ground, where we learned a great deal about the NY subway system, and particularly, the abandoned City Hall station. I've been to NYC many times, and I always travel by foot or subways. There's so much to know about the history of the system, and this tour provided some of that. It was also cool to stay put on the 6 train, rather than exiting, in order to catch a glimpse of the closed City Hall station. We had ear pieces, so listening to the guide was not a problem, no matter how noisy the environment. I encourage you to do this - you'll enjoy it.Aleisa M3/17/2023
- Subway History... A Fun Class Our tour guide was knowledgeable and pleasant. He provided ear pieces for us so that we could easily hear him in the loud subway. It was an excellent way to spend a few hours on a Friday morning.Al M3/02/2023Highly Recommend -- Great Tour for History Buffs, Subway Enthusiasts, & New Yorkers Super interesting and fun tour -- thank you to our amazing tour guide, Ben! We lucked out with a small group which was perfect, because the four of us were filled with questions for Ben, who knew the answer to all of it. This tour is truly for everybody -- my boyfriend and I have lived in the city for 10-years and we learned so much. Highly recommend!Jill M2/20/2023
About This Tour:
Explore the world’s largest subway system, the beating heart of the city that never sleeps. On this guided New York subway walking tour you will discover the fascinating beginnings of the New York City subway, and explore spaces even the most seasoned commuter might not know about. We will discover the story of the very first subway which was built illegally under the cover of night and many other surprising stories. Using the 6 train as our own ten-car time machine, we will also ride through and see abandoned stations that riders unknowingly pass by everyday, including the famed City Hall Station. The subway tour will end in one of the latest transportation hubs of lower Manhattan where we will discuss of mass transit in NYC.
Please note that although you will see abandoned subway stations from the train, the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) does not grant public access into them under any circumstances.
Guests will need one MetroCard swipe or OMNY tap to enter the subway.
Ear pieces are provided to each guests, ensuring everyone hears the guide perfectly, even from a distance!
This tour costs $312 for up to 8 guests, and $39 for each additional guests.