Hammond Typewriter, curved keyboard and wooden platform, USA circa 1913
The New York Herald Tribune was a collaboration between two journalism giants: Horace Greeley, who founded the Tribune in 1841 and James Gordon Bennett who created the Herald in 1835. The paper won 14 Pulitzer Prizes, making its home at 219 West 40th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenue for 43 years starting in 1923. The last issue was printed on 40th Street on April 23rd, 1966. The building is now home, fittingly, to CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. Scattered throughout the building are 15 vintage typewriters, a gift from the family of Robert E. Dallos, the New York Bureau Chief of the Los Angeles Times from 1978 to 1991.
The Fox but the Fox Typewriter Co., Grand Rapids, MI. Circa 1903
Oliver Standard Visible Writer by the Oliver Typewriter Co., Chicago, USA. Circa 1914
The Chicago, by The Chicago Writing Machine, Co. Circa 1900
Wanamaker Wellington No. 2, Serial #8039 circa 1910.
Densmore No. 4, by Densmore Typewriter Co. New York, NY. Serial #20072. Circa 1894-1902
The Erika 5 Portable by Seidel & Neumann, Dresden, Germany. Circa 1937
Smith Premier No. 2, Syracuse, NY Circa 1900
Bing No. 2 by Bingwerke, Germany. Circa 1928
Archo Modell D by Archo Schreibmaschinen Co. Frankfurt, Germany. Serial #8382. Circa 1922
Image via CUNY Journalism School
Get in touch with the author @untappedmich.