3. Queens Museum Building

Queens Museum exterior

The New York City Building, now the home of the Queens Museum, was constructed for the 1939 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. After the fair, the building served as both a roller skating rink and an ice skating rink. Between 1946 and 1950, the New York City Building was the home of the United Nations General Assembly.

After the United Nations left Flushing, the building returned to its prior use as a skating rink. It would later be incorporated into the 1964 World’s Fair as well. Today, it is one of only two remaining buildings from the 1939 World’s Fair that is still standing in its original location.

In recent years, The Queens Museum underwent a $68 million expansion, including a glassy facade renovation which was unveiled in 2013.