5. Trees at The Queens Botanical Garden
The Queens Botanical Garden was launched under the name Gardens on Parade at the 1939 World’s Fair, a 5-acre area in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. In 1946, the location was expanded at the same site and relaunched as “The Queens Botanical Garden Society.” In preparation for construction of the 1964 World’s Fair, the garden relocated across the street to its current location east of College Point Boulevard. Some of the original trees were moved there as well, including two blue atlas cedars that frame the tree gate sculpture at the main entrance of the Botanical Garden today.
To learn more about the connection between the garden and the World’s Fair, check out the exhibit, Harvesting Our History: The Story of Queens Botanical Garden until September 28th