Photograph by Carly Hoogendyk, Courtesy of Caveat
Want to play 2 truths and a lie with secret New York City history? Of course you do, New Yorkers! New York City’s Secrets and Lies, a live storytelling show about secret NYC history is back at Caveat on Thursday, December 6th at 7pm. Five storytellers will entertain you with tall tales about our city’s secret history. The catch? One of the bunch is a liar. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out who’s lying, cast your vote, and then snag the big prize at the end of the evening if you’re selected from the (often very small) set of audience members who correctly pick out the liar. This special holiday edition will also have additional prizes and surprises because, hey, it’s the holidays! If you are an Untapped Cities Insider, you can attend this event for free! Not an Insider yet? Become a member today to gain access to free behind-the-scenes tours and special New York City events all year long.
DATE: Thursday, December 6th Doors open at 6:30pm, Show: 7:00pm-8:30pm.
THINGS TO KNOW: This event is mixed seated and standing room. Seats are first-come first-served. Must be 21+ to attend.
REGISTRATION: Wednesday, November 21st at 12 PM EST
The whole fête is hosted by Christa Avampato, an award-winning author, journalist, and passionate New Yorker, who produces, casts, and hosts each show. Together with the cast, she digs up little-known secrets about New York City history that we pass by every day. You’ll be entertained and learn stories about this incredible city that will make you the most-coveted party guest in town.
- Dustin Growick (Museum Hack, American Museum of Natural History, New York Hall of Science, The Dinosaur Show)
- Sandi Marx (The Moth Slam Champion, Kevin Allison’s RISK!, Story Collider, HotMic with Dan Savage)
- Vicki Eastus (The Moth StorySlams, UCB’s Del Close Marathon, Refinery29, Adam Wade’s Storytelling Series, the Armando Diaz Experience)
- Nate Charles (The Moth, Story Collider, How I Learned Series, Metropolitan Museum of Art, American Museum of Natural History, and Central Park)
- Jackie Peters (Speak Up, Rise Up Festival, The Natives are Friendly, Damaged and Proud)
If you haven’t yet been to Caveat, it’s a beautiful underground speakeasy for intelligent nightlife serving up drinks and high-grade nerdery from experts in a wide variety of fields including storytellers, historians, comedians, scientists and science communicators, musicians, artists, and authors. You’ll leave each show a little smarter, and a little drunker.