3. It was the First Home of the Museum of the City of New York
The current home of the Museum of the City of New York on Fifth Avenue
After the Gracies two other families called the mansion home. The building was appropriated by the city in 1896 and was incorporated into the 11-acre Carl Schurz Park. After decades of serving as a concession stand and restrooms for the park, even as storage, it became the first home of the Museum of the City of New York in 1923.
Gracie Mansions was used by the institution until January 11, 1932 when it relocated to its current Fifth Avenue location. After the museum moved out, the NYC Department of Parks converted it into a historic house museum.