3. Washington Park Stadium Wall

Washington Stadium Wall in Gowanus

This wall in Gowanus, Brooklyn was once believed to be part of a lost baseball stadium where the Brooklyn Baseball Club — later the Dodgers played before the construction of Ebbets Field. The team played at three separate stadiums in the Park Slope/Gowanus neighborhoods between 1898 and 1912. The Dodgers left the Washington Park stadium for Ebbets Field in Flatbush in 1913. When they made that move, the Washington Park stadiums went to the Tip-Tops, a short-lived professional team that knocked down the existing stadium and built a new one.

This remaining wall segment is likely a remnant of that Tip-Top stadium. The Tip-Tops were only around for one year and once they disbanded the park was abandoned. ConEdison eventually took ownership of the property and the stadium was demolished, but this wall was preserved.