Bonus: Coney Island’s First Building Was a Toll House
Built in 1823, Coney Island’s first structure sat at Surf Avenue at the bridge over the Coney Island Creek, a location which was the subject of a 2018 exhibition “Coney Island Creek and the Natural World,” at the Coney Island History Project. One of the rare exhibits in this exhibition is an original wooden toll sign that was salvaged when the building was demolished in 1928. It dates back to when a toll for a horse and rider over the creek to the separate island that was Coney Island cost 5 cents.
Boardwalk and Brewery Tour
Next, read about 15 of Coney Island’s Most Unusual Former Attractions!