8. American Institute of Applied Music
The American Institute of Applied Music was a music school in New York City that has been mostly forgotten. Created in 1900, the Institute resulted from a merger of four music schools: The Metropolitan Conservatory of Music, The Synthetic Piano School, The Metropolitan College of Music, and The American Institute of Normal Methods. Each year, about 350 students attended the institute, which was located at 212 West 59th Street. The school utilized the pedagogical method for teaching talented musicians and was a top spot for students looking to go into music education; by 1920, over 1,000 students had received teaching certificates from the institute.
Kate Sara Chittenden, who originated the synthetic piano method of instruction, was the founding dean of the institute from 1900 until 1932. She also served as head of the piano department during that time. A number of successful musicians were alumni, including violinist Irene Stolofsky and tenor Alfred Piccaver. Faculty included composer William Mason, organist Dudley Buck, and conductor Paul Ambrose.