Spuyten Duyvil sits high above the Hudson River, separated from Manhattan by a meandering tidal estuary connecting the Hudson and Harlem Rivers. Dutch settlers first recorded the name Spuyten Duyvil in 1647. It is thought to refer either the turbulent watercourse itself (which the natives called Muscoota), or to a bubbling freshwater spring at the base of Inwood Hill.
The heart of the Tenderloin District, 37th Street looking towards 9th Avenue. From the New York Daily Tribune
A lone streetcar slowly wound up 8th Avenue in the early hours of Monday, August 13th, 1900. New York City was in the midst of a particularly oppressive heat wave. The Tenderloin District, which had seen outbreaks of violence that summer, was unusually still. There were no signs of what was to become the worst riot in New York City history since the infamous 1863 Draft Riots. Voices and cigar smoke escaped McBride’s saloon, at 41st Street and 8th Avenue. May Enoch was patiently waiting outside for her companion, Arthur Harris, when she was approached by plainclothes policeman Robert J. Thorpe.
Scan from New York Times Archive
Just before noon on a cool, blustery Saturday in March, 1939, a limousine pulled up to the corner of 225th Street and Jacobus Place in the Marble Hill neighborhood of Manhattan. James J. Lyons, the Bronx borough president, had come with the express purpose of claiming the neighborhood for the Bronx (he compared it to Hitler’s annexation of the Sudetenland). Climbing up on top of a jagged rock outcropping, Lyons planted the borough’s flag, emblazoned with “Ne cede malis” (Yield not to Evil). Smiling widely to the cameras, he proclaimed that the territory of Marble Hill would hereby be a part of the Bronx.