The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum was constructed in 1799 as a carriage house. In 1826, the Federal style building was converted into a hotel. In 1924, the Colonial Dames of America purchased the building and converted it into a museum. Until 2000, the museum was known as the Abigail Adams Smith Museum. Its named was changed as Abigail, President John Adams’ daughter, and her husband had no connection with the current 1799 structure.