1. Jefferson Market Library
Designed by architect Frederick Clark Withers, Jefferson Market Library was originally constructed as the Third Judicial District Courthouse. Faced with the threat of demolition in 1958, the structure was later converted into a New York Public library branch after a large scale restoration effort, estimated to cost roughly $1.4 million. The library officially opened its doors in 1967 and continues to remain in operation.