6. Earlier Fountains at the Soldiers’ and Sailors Arch
Image via Prospect Park Archives
The fanciful fountain behind the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Arch in Grand Army Plaza is the fourth fountain in that location. Earlier models were installed in 1873 and 1897. The former featured 24 stained-glass windows lit by gas jets, and the latter boasted electric lights and dancing jets of water controlled by a subterranean operator. That fountain was demolished during the construction of the subway, and was replaced with Bailey Fountain in 1932.