3. Fort Hamilton’s Rodman Gun
The 116,000 pound, 20-inch bore columbiad was created by artilleryman Thomas Jackson Rodman in 1864, and designed for Civil War use. Although it was tested at Fort Hamilton, the neighboring army base, it was proved to be unsuitable, and was given to the park by the United States Military in 1900.
Today, the gun is surrounded by cannon balls and takes up a significant part of the landscape.