10. George Washington Vanderbilt II Townhouse, 9 West 53rd Street
Before moving to the Marble Twins and the Biltmore, George Washington Vanderbilt II lived at a townhouse on 9 West 53rd Street. The now-demolished townhouse was constructed in 1887 by Richard Morris Hunt, who designed a number of other Vanderbilt residences. The townhouse was located on the grounds of The MoMA.
Although little is known about the townhouse, George moved here after living with his mother in Manhattan, moving away from the family farm on Staten Island. For a few years, George took to more intellectual pursuits while his older brothers ran the family business. He joined the New York Society of the Sons of the American Revolution in 1891 and later gifted his private gallery on 58th Street to the American Fine Arts Society.