6. William Vanderbilt II Townhouse, 666 Fifth Avenue
In 1905, Stanford White began to design a mansion for William Vanderbilt II’s family at 666 Fifth Avenue, right by his mansion at 660 Fifth Avenue which was demolished in 1926. In 1904, the Vanderbilts purchased the brownstone adjacent to the Petit Chateau, which was also demolished. In its place was a six-story, 50-foot limestone mansion reminiscent of his father’s mansion.
The mansion was completed in 1907, and the first floor was a popular reception hall in the area. Many of the window frames and the main door were reminiscent of Hunt’s designs for the Petit Chateau. When William and his wife Virginia separated, William moved to his Deepdale Estate and Virginia took over the mansion. After the townhouse and a few others nearby were torn down, the Tishman Building, now called 660 Fifth Avenue, was constructed as a 41-story office building.