1908: The Singer Building
Source: New York Public Library
1908: Ernest Flagg’s Singer Building is a 612 foot building located at Liberty Street and Broadway was an architectural masterpiece. Nevertheless, in 1964, (before the creation of the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission) United States Steel acquired the building and demolished it four years later to make room for its new headquarters at 1 Liberty Plaza. Efforts were made to save, at the very least, the Singer Building’s lobby, but no significant part of the building survived.